How to: Find yourself when you feel lost
“Know first who you are, then adorn yourself accordingly.” – Epictetus
Whether you’re struggling with mental illness, going through a rough time, or starting a new chapter in your life, there are some things you can do to help find yourself when you feel lost.
I believe there are times in everyone’s lives where you just don’t feel like yourself. Sometimes you just start thinking about the direction your life is taking, or maybe you’re not sure of the direction you want it to take. Or, maybe you just feel…stuck.
There are times when you don’t even know why, or can’t explain the reasons you’re feeling lost. Sometimes you just have…off days, weeks, months, or even an off year.
Whatever the reason, there are some things you can do to help you find yourself when you feel lost. They don’t have to be complicated, and they don’t have to cost a dime.
Everyone is different, so depending on what it is you’re going through that’s making you feel like you’ve stumbled off the beaten path, some of these things may work, and some may not.
I’ve had several moments of feeling lost throughout my life, and these are some things that have worked for me. They’re not miracle working cures or anything, and these things didn’t pull me out of my fog right away, but they definitely helped.
Ideas to help with getting back on track –
- Make a plan – The best way to start is to plan out what you’re going to do to get yourself out of your funk. Think about what you can do to help get you where you want to be. Maybe you’d benefit from counseling, or joining groups with people who are going through similar life struggles. You know yourself best – you know what will work to help keep you on track and focused on moving in the right direction.
- Find music that speaks to you – Music is a very important part of my life. There are lyrics in certain songs that just speak to my soul. Find those songs. The ones that lift you up, make you feel good, remind you of who you are. Find them, and play them loud!
- Hang out with your people – Spend as much time as you can hanging with your favorite peeps. Your BFF’s, favorite family members, your kids…the ones that make you feel good. Those people in your life that you know you can count on to lift you up, and provide a shoulder to lean on.
- Set some attainable goals – Think about what it is you want to accomplish, who you want to be, where you want to be in life. Start off small, and then work your way up.
- Practice Positive thinking – Give yourself pep talks, remind yourself that you’ve got this, you can do it. You can and you will. The power of positive thinking is an amazing thing. Set reminders if you need to.
- No one is perfect – If you start to slip on this journey to find yourself, it’s ok. Give yourself a break. Learn to stop being so hard on yourself. Everyone has bad days. Even those who aren’t lost. Don’t be afraid to trust in yourself.
- Find a new hobby/interest – Explore new things, try something different, that you’ve never tried before. It can open you up to an entirely new world. It also helps to keep you busy, leaving less time for you to think any pesky negative thoughts.
- Become more self-aware – Self-awareness is an amazing thing. When you’re able to become more aware of your thoughts, feelings and behaviors, you can learn to be more in control of them. This helps you to take better control, which in turn helps to keep you from feeling so lost.
- Keep a journal – Write down your thoughts. You can do this daily, weekly…whatever works for you. It helps to provide you with another outlet to free your mind up. You can also keep track of your progress, and how far you’ve come in reaching your goals.
These are just some ideas that have helped me out, even in some of my roughest moments. I’m hoping that these will at least help get you started. Try them out, let me know if they work for you!
Just remember – Trust your gut. Trust in yourself. You know yourself best.
Life can be a roller coaster of crazy ups and downs for anyone. There are times when you never know what it will throw your way next. Just remember, it’s just a part of life, and that’s ok.
Sometimes you’re put on a certain path for a reason. If you’re not willing to explore it, you’ll never figure out the reason! You only live once, don’t be afraid to chase your dreams, and do what makes you happy.
There are some other great tips on how to find yourself when you feel lost too, it’s always great to see what works for others. And a little perspective is good for the soul.
Check out some of my other blog posts for more good reads.
Just remember, you can do it! Now go out and find yourself!!!